Admissions » Admissions


If you are interested in the James Baldwin School, Fall 2024 Open Houses will start in April 2024.

Si está interesado en la escuela James Baldwin, las jornadas de puertas abiertas de otoño de 2024 comenzarán en abril de 2024.

Learn more about us

Listen to David share information about JBS.  Be sure to attend an open house session to complete your application.

JBS Voices

Want to learn more about JBS?  Listen to our podcast to learn more what it means to be part of the JBS community.

Prospective Parents & Students


What kind of student is James Baldwin looking for?

We are looking for students who want to come to be part of our community. It is hard for us to give a profile of a typical JBS student since the people here are very diverse. After being at JBS for a little while, students tend to ask questions a lot, listen thoughtfully to what others have to say and feel more confident in new situations than they did before.

What do I submit in my application?​

​Your application should include an application form, one letter of recommendation, a copy of your transcript, and a copy of your attendance record (the RISA form for NYC public schools).

Who can write my Letter of Recommendation?

Anyone from your current school, such as a teacher, counselor, or administrator. Also, adults you know from other places, like a job, community center, or religious organization. Any adult who knows you well, but is not a family member, can write a letter of recommendation for you.

How do I get my transcript?

Ask your guidance counselor at your current school to print your transcript for you.

Can I give you a report card instead of a transcript?

No. This is for your own protection. We cannot add your credits from your old school from a report card. We must have your transcript to add the credits.  Without your transcript, you are running the risk of never getting those old credits added to your transcript and starting over as if you were a beginning 9th grader. 

How do I get my attendance record?

Ask your guidance counselor at your current school to print your attendance record.